tycho target platform for test
Ida de Groot
2008-09-19 14:02:23 UTC
Hi,

All tests are running smoothly from a fragment with tycho build 1502.
Cool.

I have a question on the target platform though.

The tests will only run if I use a (fresh) extraction of
eclipse-SDK-3.4-win32.zip as the target platform. If I use our own
target platform (containing only the plugins needed by our app) the
tests won't run and in the logfile there are many unresolved
dependencies showing (I can add a copy, don't know if this makes things
more clear). I know from the pde build that tests need a full eclipse
installation to be able to run. Is this also the case with Tycho? Is
there a specification of the extra artifacts needed in the target
platform?

Thanks,

Ida

This e-mail message contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee, we request that you notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy this e-mail message and any attachment(s), without copying, saving, forwarding, disclosing or using its contents in any other way. TomTom N.V., TomTom International BV or any other company belonging to the TomTom group of companies will not be liable for damage relating to the communication by e-mail of data, documents or any other information.
Igor Fedorenko
2008-09-19 18:12:54 UTC
Tycho does not (intentionally) add any artificial requirements on the
target platform. But since PDE is not able to run the tests either I
tend to think the target platform is incomplete. It be great, though, if
you could submit a bugreport in JIRA [1] with sample project and target
platform I can use to reproduce the problem. If this is not practical,
i.e. target platform is way too big, then post the log here and I will
try why tycho believes these dependencies are needed.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE
Ida
Ida de Groot
2008-09-21 15:03:43 UTC
Hi Igor,

It took me quite a while to create a clean test case for this - sorry
for the delay. First the unresolved errors disappeared when I cleaned my
maven repository. Then I got an error that the EclipseStarter could not
be found - I solved that by making my target from a rcp product export,
which should have all that stuff in it. Then the error that I mentioned
in the jira report appeared, and that is where I got stuck, probably due
to some dependency that did not get resolved, but I cannot find where.

So, I hope I provided enough information in the bug report.

B.t.w., what is the current status of the product packaging? And
multi-platform build?

Thanks,

Ida

Ida de Groot | Software Engineer| TomTom Mobility Solutions |
***@tomtom.com | tel. +31 (0) 20 7575321 | www.tomtom.com

Igor Fedorenko
2008-09-21 16:31:26 UTC
Post by Ida de Groot
Hi Igor,
It took me quite a while to create a clean test case for this - sorry
for the delay. First the unresolved errors disappeared when I cleaned my
maven repository. Then I got an error that the EclipseStarter could not
be found - I solved that by making my target from a rcp product export,
which should have all that stuff in it. Then the error that I mentioned
in the jira report appeared, and that is where I got stuck, probably due
to some dependency that did not get resolved, but I cannot find where.
So, I hope I provided enough information in the bug report.
Thank you, I will have a look at the sample project next week. FYI,
tycho assumes that eclipse 3.4 target platforms have P2
simpleconfigurator and prio eclipse versions have update manager and I
guess it is causing the problem. I plan to address this limitation next
couple of weeks.
Post by Ida de Groot
B.t.w., what is the current status of the product packaging? And
multi-platform build?
Can you please clarify what product packaging and multi-platform builds
are? RCP application packaging is high on our priority list but I am not
sure if this is what you need.
Ida de Groot
2008-09-21 16:50:41 UTC
Post by Igor Fedorenko
Can you please clarify what product packaging and multi-platform builds
are? RCP application packaging is high on our priority list but I am not
sure if this is what you need.
Yes, that is exactly what I need. We have an rcp application, users are
on linux, mac and windows. Creating the update site and the application
for those platforms in the continuous build is one of our big needs.
So far I am really pleased with Tycho, configuration is like heaven
compared to the ant/pde build. Especially the use of the repo for
already generated artifacts. I really hope that we can move to tycho in
the very near future. If there is anything I can do to help, please let
me know.

Thanks for all your work,

Igor Fedorenko

Ida
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-22 07:45:16 UTC
Hi,

I am following the tutorials in the sonatype Maven book
http://www.sonatype.com/book (Thumbs up). Chapter 4 and 5 worked perfect
under eclipse but when I try the project setup in chapter 6, which is
basically the same as chapters 4 and 5 but in a multi module, eclipse
starts to behave strangely. I am trying to run the tutorial under tomcat
(6.0.16) where I get a ClassNotFoundError for the tutorial servlet
classes (I cannot show it here because I cannot reproduce the error due
to the following issue). With jetty from the console (like in the
tutorial) it worked fine. After this, the simple-webapp submodule
project is broken. When I try Update Project Configuration I get an
error dialog showing the following message:

An internal error occurred during: "Updating Maven Configuration".
java.lang.NullPointerException

And this is the stacktrace in the workspace log

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2008-09-22 09:23:23.002
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Updating Maven Configuration".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.isEJBArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:636)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.refineForJavaEE(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:446)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.openArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:273)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.openArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:121)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.componentcore.JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper$ArchiveCache.openArchive(JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.java:461)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.componentcore.JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.openArchive(JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.java:333)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.componentcore.JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.getUniqueArchive(JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.java:322)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.componentcore.JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.getArchive(JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.java:315)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.componentcore.JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.accessArchive(JavaEEBinaryComponentHelper.java:152)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.project.J2EEProjectUtilities.readManifest(J2EEProjectUtilities.java:317)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.getManifestClasspath(J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.java:43)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.classpathdep.ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.getManifestClasspath(ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.java:75)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestClasspath(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:156)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:275)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:270)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.getReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.java:34)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.classpathdep.ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.getReferences(ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.java:68)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.update(J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.java:176)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.install(J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.java:308)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathInitializer.initialize(J2EEComponentClasspathInitializer.java:29)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.initializeContainer(JavaModelManager.java:2371)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.getClasspathContainer(JavaModelManager.java:1684)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCore.getClasspathContainer(JavaCore.java:2554)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.resolveClasspath(JavaProject.java:2469)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ClasspathEntry.validateClasspath(ClasspathEntry.java:1290)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.SetClasspathOperation.verify(SetClasspathOperation.java:87)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.runOperation(JavaModelOperation.java:764)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.setRawClasspath(JavaProject.java:2815)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaProject.setRawClasspath(JavaProject.java:2846)
at
org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.internal.JavaProjectConfigurator.addMavenClasspathContainer(JavaProjectConfigurator.java:583)
at
org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.internal.JavaProjectConfigurator.configure(JavaProjectConfigurator.java:90)
at
org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.project.ProjectConfigurationManager.updateProjectConfiguration(ProjectConfigurationManager.java:230)
at
org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.project.ProjectConfigurationManager.updateProjectConfiguration(ProjectConfigurationManager.java:213)
at
org.maven.ide.eclipse.actions.UpdateSourcesAction$1.runInWorkspace(UpdateSourcesAction.java:72)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Deleting the eclipse files and hitting Update Project Configuration does
not solve the problem. I am using Eclipse 3.4.0, WST 3.0.0 and m2eclipse
0.9.6. Does anyone has a clue?

Cheers
Jan
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-22 09:43:10 UTC
I got it working for the moment but it is very unstable. My procedure is
to erase the eclipse files and use Update Project Configuration and hit
F5 for refresh. The results vary. Sometimes I get only the source
folders shown in eclipse, sometimes only the Deployment Descriptor and
sometimes the project like it should appear but with a red cross at the
project node. Unfortunately the Problems view does not show a
corresponding error. I could "live"/work with that but if I restart
eclipse I get the NullPointerException (this time during JavaTooling
Initialization) and only the DeploymentDescriptor node is shown. By the
way, unlike in the tutorial I use Deployment Descriptor version 2.5
instead of 2.3. Did anyone got the example (Chapter 6) working (stable)
with tomcat under eclipse? If so, could you please give me the versions
of your installation?

Cheers Jan
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-22 15:01:09 UTC
Update: I downloaded a new eclipse and installed all the newest (non
developer versions) plugins and tried again. Once I get it working and
restart eclipse I get the NullPointer again. Anyone?

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2008-09-22 16:54:45.734
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Initializing Java Tooling".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.isEJBArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:687)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.refineForJavaEE(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:497)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.openArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:304)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.archive.JavaEEArchiveUtilities.openArchive(JavaEEArchiveUtilities.java:143)
[...]
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.getManifestClasspath(J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.java:45)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.classpathdep.ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.getManifestClasspath(ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.java:75)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestClasspath(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:156)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:275)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.getManifestReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualComponent.java:270)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.componentcore.J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.getReferences(J2EEModuleVirtualArchiveComponent.java:36)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.classpathdep.ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.getReferences(ClasspathDependencyVirtualComponent.java:68)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.update(J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.java:176)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.install(J2EEComponentClasspathContainer.java:308)
at
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.common.classpath.J2EEComponentClasspathInitializer.initialize(J2EEComponentClasspathInitializer.java:29)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.initializeContainer(JavaModelManager.java:2371)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$13.run(JavaModelManager.java:2301)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1800)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.initializeAllContainers(JavaModelManager.java:2317)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.getClasspathContainer(JavaModelManager.java:1679)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCore.initializeAfterLoad(JavaCore.java:3398)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.InitializeAfterLoadJob$RealJob.run(InitializeAfterLoadJob.java:35)
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-22 15:11:33 UTC
I now tried the original tutorial code (
http://www.sonatype.com/book/reference/multimodule.html# ) with File ->
Import -> Maven Project. At first it works and everything is fine (this
time with Deployment Descriptor 2.3 by the way). Once I restart, same
problem -> simple-webapp project is broken. Is there maybe a plugin or
eclipse module I am missing? But if so, why does the problem only occur
when restarting eclipse? Sonatype?
Jan
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-22 15:23:24 UTC
@Eugene

It seems that this problem is related to

http://archive.codehaus.org/lists/org.codehaus.m2eclipse.user/msg/***@talk.nabble.com

Has there been a solution?
Jan
Eugene Kuleshov
2008-09-22 15:12:43 UTC
Jan,

The exception below is a WTP issue which supposed to be fixed in WTP
3.0.1. You should be able to update it from the Eclipse update site at
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates

regards,
Eugene
Jan Schoppenhorst
2008-09-23 07:15:37 UTC
@Eugene

Like I said, I installed a new eclipse (j2ee Version) with the newest
(non-developer) m2eclipse and the newest WTP (3.0.1). Still I get the
problem. Everytime I start eclipse I get the NullPointerException and
only the Deployment Descriptor is visible. By the way, I tried on two
computers.
If I then disable Dependency Management, everything is fine. If I
re-enable Dependency Management everything is still fine!!! If I restart
eclipse -> NullPointerException and only Deployment Descriptor visible.
Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

regards,
Jan
Post by Jan Schoppenhorst
[...]
GDV
Gesellschaft für geografische Datenverarbeitung mbH
Binger Straße 49-51
55218 Ingelheim
Tel.: 06132/7148-19
Fax.: 06132/7148-28
www.gdv.com
www.gdv-mapbuilder.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ingelheim
Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 23123
Gerichtsstand Mainz
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Riehl, Dirk Hübener
Eugene Kuleshov
2008-09-23 13:18:32 UTC
Jan,

Please open new JIRA issue, post this stack trace in there and also
attach your Eclipse configuration details from Help / About Eclipse SDK
/ Configuration Details.
If you could, please also attach test Eclipse projects or Eclipse
workspace that would allow us to reproduce this issue.

Thanks

Eugene
Jan Schoppenhorst